How To Apply For A Grant
The mission of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation is to enrich the quality of life in the Brampton and surrounding communities over the long term by:
- Attracting and effectively growing endowment funds through helping donors fulfill their philanthropic interests.
- Providing leadership in identifying and addressing significant community charitable priorities.
Our Guiding Principles:
- Building community assets and facilitating philanthropy.
- Establishing an effective and imaginative grants program.
- Implementing responsive and accountable processes.
- Reflecting diversity and fostering renewal.
- Building community capacity.
- Creating community dialogue and partnerships.
Our Operating Principles:
- Maintaining and respecting the confidentiality of information obtained throughout all processes.
- Declaring and recognizing conflicts of interest that may arise through the granting process.
These principles are the framework for the decisions and processes of the Grant Making Committee of the Brampton and Area Community Foundation.
- Grants are made only to groups/organizations registered as Canadian charitable organizations and others qualified as described in Section 110 of the Income Tax Act.
- Preference will be given to projects, which contribute to the community’s growing needs for artistic, cultural, recreational, educational, environmental, health and social service related programs.
- Organizations must demonstrate vision, action, effectiveness, fiscal responsibility and good management.
- Applicants must establish the seriousness of the need and the degree of potential benefit to the community served.
- It must be clear that the organization and its personnel are able to achieve results.
- A clear outline of partnership, co-operation and co-ordination with other similar programs or projects should be evident.
- The likelihood of independence from Foundation support must be clear as well as reasonable assurances that the amount requested is sufficient to achieve results.
- The degree of volunteer participation and citizen involvement along with constructive attention to diversity and positive change should be evident.
- All applicants will be required to complete a grant application form and supply requested reference information. A meeting with the Grant Making Committee or the President & CEO may be required.
Applicants receiving a grant will be required to submit a final report upon completion of the project. The Foundation reserves the right to audit the project on completion or at intervals during the project.
The Foundation does not support the following items:
- Fundraising events or campaign activities
- Partisan, political or direct religious activities
- Individuals Sports and recreation teams or club sponsorship
- Pay down of mortgages, deficit reduction or projects already completed
- Operating expenses of established agencies or programs or capital building campaigns
- Multiple year requests
- Research, publication of studies, educational material, seminars, conferences or workshops, tours or travel outside the community and scholarships or fellowships
Grants available from donor-directed funds administered by the Foundation are not restricted by these guidelines.
Phase 1: GRANT APPLICATION
Any supporting documents requested (such as financials) are also to be submitted by email where possible. Supporting documents that are not available electronically should be submitted, by mail, to:
Brampton and Area Community Foundation
150 Main St. N. Box 74027
Brampton, Ont. L6V 1N9
Please remember the grant application, itself, MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE ABOVE STATED EMAIL ADDRESS. ANY APLICATION(S) NOT SUBMITTED IN THIS MANNER MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Evaluation (End of Project Report)
If your organization is successful and a grant is received by your organizaton from the Foundation, your organization will be required to evaluate the project, demonstrating the outcomes, and report to the Grant Making Committee of the Foundation at the completion of the project or as requested by the Foundation. Failure to complete the evaluation may exclude the applicant from receiving future grants.
Application Deadlines and Approval Dates
GRANT APPLICATION DEADLINE
Grant Application Deadline February 15, 2013 Board Approval of Grants May/June 2013
If the above deadline dates fall on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, application must be received by the next working day.